Make your own free website on

US Marines Art

US Marines Art Review

US Marines Art
US Marines Art Close-ups
Contact us US Marines Art
US Marines Art Review
US Marines Published Art Article

Review – Art Information – Historic Documentation – Provenance – Condition of Painting

Scene is historic documentation of the harbour at Port Plate Early May 1800
Artist is unknown and date completed is unknown.

The oil on canvas was viewed under ultra violet light and raking white light with no disclosure of a date or artist signature. The painting was reviewed in the frame.

Because of the age of the painting all photographs and scientific test were noninvasive. The painting was not removed from the frame during the review process.

Size with frame: 39 inches height and 46 inches wide
Size of exposed canvas front only in frame: 28 inches height and 35 inches wide
Size of frame (moulding) covering canvas on all four sides is approximately 1 inches.

The oil on canvas remains in the original frame,since purchased July 1927. The painting and frame will remain together.

Frame identification: There is a partly readable label located on the back that reads. Sammons, Clark & Co, 197 & 199 South Clinton St, Chicago, IL, Mouldings. Please see the image close-up page.

The following individuals expertise aided with the valued assistance of the National Museum of the Marine Corps, GS14 Kenneth L. Smith-Christmas, Charles H. Cureton, and GS12 John T. Dyer, US Marines Curator of Art.

Special thanks are to the National Museum of the Marine Corps, whose expertise was paramount in identification of this United States of America historic oil on canvas.


6 DEC 1798 – 20 OCT 1800
2 MAY 1800
“AM at 8 hauled up on a wind to the harbour of Port A Plate [sic} till a 9 at which time we saw two sail that appeared to be steering from the harbour of Port a Plate [sic] and made sail towards them. At 11 shortened sail and brought the sloop Sally and ship Sandwich in company. The ship Sandwich is a French [sic] ship from Nantz bound to Cape Francois. Mounting six guns and having on board 30 men. Put into Port a Plate [sic] discharged her cargo there and now partly laden with the produce of the island. This service was performed by Lt. Hull, Capt. Carmick and Lt. Amory, they boarded her at moonlight on the morning of the 11th of May 1800. The marine [sic] officer with a part of armed men landed and spiked up the cannon in the battery while Lt. Hull was swaying up the topmasts on board the Sandwich. Received 22 french [sic] prisoners from the Sandwich.”
Copied from

“USS CONSTITUTION Cutting-Out Expedition, 1800

“11 MAY 1800”
“From Captain Silas Talbot, U. S. Navy, to Secretary of the Navy Benjamin Stoddert”

“I have now to acquaint you, Sir, that I have been for some time meditation an enterprise against a French Armed ship, lying at Port Plate, protected by her own guns and a Fort of three heavy cannon. It was my first intentions to have gone in with the Constitution, and to have silenced the fort and ship, which has all her guns on one side to co-operate with the fort in defending against any hostile force, but after the best information I could gain, I found it to be somewhat dangerous to approach the entrance of the harbor. With a ship of the draft of water of the Constitution.”

“Having detained the sloop Sally, which had left Port Plate but a few days before, and was to have returned there previous to her sailing for the United States, I conceived that this sloop would be a suitable vessel for a disguise. I therefore manned her at Sea from the Constitution with about ninety brave seamen and marines, the latter to be commanded by Captain Carmick and Lieutenant Amory, when on shore, but the entire command I gave to Mr. Isaac Hull, my first lieutenant, who entered the harbor of Port Plate yesterday in open day, with his men in the hold of the sloop, except five or six to work her in.”

“They ran alongside the ship, and boarded her, sword in hand, without the loss of a man, killed or wounded. At the moment the ship was boarded, Agreeably to my plan, Captain Carmick and Lieutenant Amory landed with the marines up to their necks in water, and spiked all the cannon in the fort, the commanding officer had time to recollect and prepare himself for defense.”

“Perhaps no enterprise of the same moment was ever better executed; and I feel myself under great obligations to lieutenant Hull, captain Carmick, and lieutenant Armory, for their avidity in undertaking the scheme I had pall end and for the handsome manner and great address which they performed this dashing adventure.”

“The ship, I understand, mounts four sixes and two nines, she was formerly the British packet Sandwich, and from the boasting publications at the cape, and the declaration of the officers, she is one of the fastest sailers that swims. She ran three or four years, (if I forget not,) as privateer out of France, and with greater success than any other that ever sailed out of their ports. She is a beautiful copper-bottomed ship; her cargo consists principally of sugar and coffee.”
“I am &c.
Silas Talbot”

“This capture was made about twelve o'clock. When taken, the ship was stripped, having only her lower masts in; her rigging was coiled and stowed below. Before sun-set Lieutenant Hull had her completely rigged, royal yards athwart, guns scaled, men quartered, and in every respect ready for service.”
Source: Naval Documents Related to the Quasi-War between the United States and France (Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1937), 5: 503-4.**11 May 1800

Account of the Expedition of U.S. Frigate Constitution, in Harbour of Porto Plata
“Whilst the Frigate Constitution, under the command of Captain Talbot was cruising in the neighbourhood of St Domingo an Expedition was determined upon, to cut out a French Corvette of l4 Guns then in the harbour of Porta Plate in that Island, for this purpose a small Sloop belonging to Providence R.I. was made use of & the Expedition placed under the direction of Isaac Hull, then first Lieutenant of the Constitution, who with the Officers & men selected left the Constitution & went on board the Sloop about sun down being at that time a long distance from the land; In standing in the Sloop was fired at by a British Frigate and a boat was sent from the Frigate to ascertain the destination of the Sloop, The British officer was much surprised on getting on board the Sloop to find the Hatch ways filled with American Officers and seamen--Lieut Hull informed him that under disguise he intended to run into Port Plata and endeavour to cut out the French Corvette there loading with Coffee for France, the British Officer intimated that the British Frigate had been watching the movements of the French Vessel with the same intention, Lieutenant Hull replied that it must be effected before the next morning or the Frigate would be too late, as he (Lt H.) should certainly take her out if he found [her] there in the morning, the British Officer left the Sloop wishing success to the Expedition.

In the morning, the Sloop was still a long distance from the port, but the sea breeze springing up early, the Sloop succeeded in entering the port about twelve O'clock, the Pilot who was at the helm of the Sloop was directed to lay the Corvette aboard on the Starboard bow, whilst Lieut Hull stood ready to let go an Anchor from the Stern of the Sloop the moment she came in contact with the Corvette--Not a man was to be seen on board the Sloop & the object was not discovered until the pre-concerted signal was given to board--immediately on the signal being given the men sprang from the hold of the Sloop the Officers from the Cabin, and boarded in handsome style, carrying all before them and taking possession of the Corvette without the loss of a man, Orders had been given to the men to discharge their pistols in the air if but little resistance was offered--As soon as possession was obtained a Boat, manned with Marines under the charge of Captain Carmack & Lieut Amory was sent to the Fort to spike the Guns, which was effected in a very short time; All this was done at noon day within musket shot of the fort, the broad side of the Corvette bearing upon the Sloop as she entered the port, & the wind blowing directly into the harbour.

The Corvette was dismantled having nothing but her lower Masts standing, and not a Rope over the Mast heads-- By sundown she was completely Rigged sails bent, Royal yards aloft ready for Sea, in the mean Time the Guns of the Corvette had been scaled, re-loaded & brought to bear on the Town, the men ready for any emergency, at about twelve o'clock at night the Wind came off the land & the Corvette was got underway & stood out the most perfect & complete success having attended the Expedition & without the loss of an individual.”

Source: Naval Documents Related to the Quasi-War between the United States and France (Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1937), 5: 504-5.

“Extract from a letter from an Officer on board the U. S. Frigate Constitution to his friend in Philadelphia, concerning her enterprize against the French armed ship which was formerly the British Packet Sandwich

Captain Talbot has put his plan into execution respecting the cutting out the ship. I performed my part with very little trouble the only disagreeable part of the business was being cooped up in a small vessel for 12 hours--for we fortunately took a small American vessel that had been in the port a few days before, and was to return there in a short time. By this means it was easy to take the vessel by surprize; it put me in mind of the wooden horse at Troy. We all remained below until we received orders from the officer, the only one of us who remained on the deck of the sloop, whose business it was to lay us on board, which he did on the starboard bow. The men went on board like devils, and it was as much as the first lieutenant and myself could do to prevent blood being spilt. I believe it was not half an hour before the ship was taken, that I had possession of the fort and all the cannon spiked, and returned again on board the prize before they could get any succours from the city. I presume they were rather surprized when they found the cannon spiked; we had then possession of the harbor, we took our time to rig the ship, as she had her topmasts down and all her sails unbent. By 6 o'clock the lieutenant had every thing in order, and the men stationed at the cannon, ready with my marines to oppose all their force, which we understood was about five hundred men--they sent several flags of truce, making different requests, to which we answered that we had only executed the orders of our commander. On shore they were not ignorant, that it was impossible for us to get out until the land breeze came off which you know is in the morning; he concluded we must have been pretty determined before we undertook the business as we had no other alternative than to die or succeed; he however remained very quiet, and we came out in the morning and joined our commodore.

The night before we performed this business, in going to Porto Plate, we were met at 12 o'clock at night by an English Frigate, who fired two shot and brought us too; we went on board and after examining us we proceeded; we suspected he was going on the same business we were upon--he will peep into the harbour La Plate to day and find his plan frustrated. The English Captain informed us, that he was cruising to intercept a French frigate arrived at St. Domingo from France, and was to proceed round to Cape Francois.”

Source: Naval Documents Related to the Quasi-War between the United States and France (Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1937), 5: 500-501.
Return to Old Ironsides' Battle Record Continue to Bombardment of Tripoli, 1804
The references were copied in total from the


July 27, 1927 Purchased from the Estate of Caroline Newman Lininger by the current owners great-grandmother. The painting remains in the family today passing from generation to generation.

June 8, 1907-March 4, 1927 Caroline N. Lininger, Widow, George W. Lininger
Omaha, NE Residence & Art Gallery Address: 224 North 18th Street
Estate of Caroline Newman Lininger
Born: Caroline M. Newman, Knoxville, IL in 1837
Deceased: March 3, 1927
Note: Father (George Newman) was a friend of Abraham Lincoln.

Acquistion Date Unknown-June 8, 1907 George Washington Lininger
Born: November 14, 1834, Chambersburg, PA
Deceased: June 8, 1907
Omaha, NE Residence & Art Gallery Address: 224 North 18th Street
Art collector
Navy apprenticeship
Civil War Veteran – Quartermaster
Master Mason

Friend of Joseph Jefferson – Dean of American Theatre and New York actor
Friend of Charles Gunther – Military Collector and Chicago candy maker

Note: This painting is not listed in any of the Lininger Art Gallery Catalogues. There are many historical reports including the Omaha World Herald, July 31, 1927 by Eva Mahoney article. The Lininger’s art collection was stored in every available part of the gallery and home. The citizens of Omaha purchased many pictures during the 3-day auction.

The painting has been in the same family for over seventy-five years. The condition is good based on the age of the painting. The painting has not been removed from the frame during this time.

The canvas is linen. (See photograph on close-up page.)

The family has never reframed, cleaned – other than dry dusting, or repaired the oil on canvas.

There are two places where the oil has lifted from the canvas possibly from the canvas being bumped. There has been no attempt to in paint or repair.

There are no tears or holes on the canvas.

Under ultra violet light and raking white light there is no in painting.

The frame appears to have been retouched with gold paint. A fine line of gold paint is on the lower part of the oil on canvas.

The stretcher bars are the originals when purchased in 1927.
This is based on observation of the canvas while in the frame.

Label on frame. (See photograph on the close-up page.)

The varnish has clouded in some places. If lightly cleaned and properly conserved the colors in the painting would brighten. This conservation will also eliminate the clouded portion.

The current owner's objective is to sell the painting to an interested party or parties for conservation and to gift or loan the painting to the new US Marine Corps Museum, which will open in 2007.

Copyright 2007-2009 by Dinsmoor Distribution
All art work and articles are copyrighted by the
owners or authors.